Plagiarizing and faking a degree is very easy these days. You don’t even need to have professional Photoshop skills to fake a diploma. There are a lot of free apps that can help nefarious people nowadays. They usually edit a document and submit it to the authorities. The end-result looks perfectly legitimate – but it doesn’t mean it will pass scrutiny every time. In the Philippines, it’s so prevalent that we even have a slang term for it – Recto University. It’s a street in the University Belt where you can stroll on the street shopping for bachelor degrees. They even have official embossing seals for it! Authorities and organizations have to be on their toes when it comes to authenticating or screening the documents that have been submitted to them. There are different ways to verify your degree from the Philippines, and here they are in order.

Certified True Copy and Notarization

All you need to do to get this done for your document is to present your original document and the photocopy to your friendly neighborhood notary public. Bring your ID and Community Tax Certificate with you, pay the prescribed amount, and voila! You’ll have with you your Certified True Copy. Note that some Notary Public may ask that the documents submitted should have a Certification, Authentication, and Verification (CAV) from the CHED (Commission on Higher Education). 

Verify Degree Philippines
Get ready for long queues.

Certification, Authentication, and Verification (CAV)

Having a CAV for your degree is a bit of a tedious process. You need to first have an endorsement from your school registrar. Then have a certified true copy of the documents, fill up the application form, and submit it to CHED. Bring the original TOR, your Diploma, and your Certification from Higher Education Institution (HEI). You also need to bring two sets of photocopies for your TOR and diploma. If you are intending to use your CAV for overseas employment, you can use the one-stop-shop at the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). You can pick up your CAV after approximately 15 days from the Office of Student Development and Services (OSDS).

Department of Foreign Affairs Attestation (Red Ribbon)

Strictly speaking, the DFA no longer issues Red Ribbons, but are now issuing what is known as “Apostille” certificates. This is after the Philippines have become a signatory to the Apostille Convention. You can get your attestation from the DFA by filling up an application form. You then submit the required documents (Certified True Copy of TOR and diploma with CAV) to the DFA. Pay the corresponding fees and keep the Official Receipt (OR). Claim your documents on the indicated release time and date by presenting your OR. The DFA will dispose of unclaimed documents after 3 months. 

Verify Degree Philippines
Reap your sweet reward once you have your positively verified degree.

Primary Source Verification (PSV)

Licensed professionals, particularly those in the healthcare industry, are required to undergo primary source verification for their credentials. This is a must for those intending to work in the GCC region. Some states in the USA and in other countries also require PSV. It’s very easy to get your own PSV report from as you can do it from the convenience of your home! All you need to do is sign up, download and sign the Letter of Authorization, and upload it together with your documents. Finally, once your report is finished, your documents are now future-proof as it is stored in the blockchain. This soft-copy is yours forever!